At Fosse Primary we believe that …
EVERY SECOND COUNTS!
‘Miss School and You Miss Out’
We want to see all our pupils with 95% or above attendance
There is a clear link between attendance and achievement. Whenever a child misses school they miss out on important learning. This time can never be caught up. Regular attendance is the most important factor in a child reaching their full potential. 90% attendance actually means that your child has been away from school for half a day every week! If your child has 90% attendance for a whole year that means that they have had nearly 4 whole weeks off school in a year! That equates to 95 days or 80 lessons!
Attendance Policy 2019-20
Our target for this year’s overall attendance is 96%
Parents, you have to help us to achieve this.
Attendance does matter. This table illustrates the impact of absence and how it affects your child’s learning.
|Attendance during one school year||Equals days absent||Which is approximately weeks absent||Which means this number of lessons missed|
|95%||9 Days||2 Weeks||50 lessons|
|90%||19 Days||4 Weeks||100 lessons|
|85%||29 Days||6 Weeks||150 lessons|
|80%||38 Days||8 Weeks||200 lessons|
|75%||48 Days||10 Weeks||250 lessons|
We promise to:
- We award attendance shields to the classes with attendance above 95% each week; the class with the most shields at the end of each term receives a reward.
- We award certificates to pupils with 100% attendance + good punctuality at the end of the each term and at the end of the year.
- For every full week where a child has been at school and on time they are entered into a prize draw at the end of each term – winning children and their parents will each receive a £30 Amazon voucher.
- A prize draw will be conducted at the end of the year for all children with attendance above 95% (1 entry), 96% (2 entries), 97% (3 entries) 98% (4 entries) 99% (5 entries) and 100% (10 entries) – winners will each receive £50 Amazon vouchers
- We will support you in promoting good attendance and punctuality.
- We will do our best to contact you on the first day of an absence by telephone.
- We will contact you regularly until your child returns to school.
- We will contact you if we have any concerns over attendance and punctuality.
- We will also contact you by letter if we have not been given a reason for absence.
- We will be there for you if you contact us about issues that may be impacting on your child’s attendance. We will do our best to support you and find a solution to the problem.
- We will closely monitor any child whose attendance falls below 95%.
- We will hold a legal panel meeting with the local authority Educational Welfare Officer where children have ongoing attendance issues
What should you do?
Bring your child to school every day on time – doors open at 8.45am
Contact us on 0116 251 9261 if your child has to miss school
Tell us as soon as possible if you have a problem that might affect your child’s attendance.